BIGGLES OF THE CAMEL SQUADRON
by W.E. Johns
Published by Dean & Son Ltd.. circa. 1968
Very good condition in a very good dustwrapper. Green boards, black title to spine.
Slight bumping to bottom of spine. Spine is lightly browned. Some page browning. Light foxing to page edges. Contents clean. Dustwrapper is edge rubbed. Top edge is a little browned. Price label to bottom of front flap. Vertical crease to rear flap.
Stock no. 1405618
Located at: Rose's Books, Hay-on-Wye
- A collection of 13 short stories set towards the end of the first world war with Biggles a flight leader in 266 squadron. All stories Original published in 1933 in the Modern Boy magazine with the first book form being published by John Hamilton in 1934.
- Stories Are:
- The Professor - a new pilot learns that there is more to flying than geometry
- The Joy-ride - Biggles takes a German Albatros for a spin
- Bridge Party - the Professor blows up a bridge, from below
- Bottle Party - the squadron attack several spotter balloons with bottles on strings
- The Trap - Biggles takes revenge for a booby-trapped observation balloon
- The Funk - a new pilot regains his courage when his goldfish is killed
- The Professor Comes Back - the professor escapes from prison, discovering a secret bomber base in the process
- The Thought Reader - Biggles uncovers a spy signalling by using wheat sheaves (Note not included in the Thames and Deans reprints, Story also in Biggles Pioneer Air Fighter)
- The Great Arena - an act of German chivalry is reciprocated by Biggles, but only after an attack decimates the German flight
- Biggles Finds his Feet - Biggles is stuck on the ground and repels an entire German attack in order to save a friend stuck in No Mans Land (Note: not included in the Thames and Dean Reprints but story also in Biggles Pioneer Air Fighter)
- The Dragon's Lair - a phosphorous-firing chateau is put out of business
- Biggles' Day Off - visiting his godfather in Kent, Biggles sinks a submarine
- Scotland for Ever - Biggles gets caught in the Cambrai advance, helping retake the aerodrome when the allies counterattack